15 Best Waterproof Hiking Boots in 2023 For All Conditions
Hiking boots are definitely pretty important for your comfort and performance while you are on the trail. But that no longer needs to mean a stiff and burly model that will supposedly weigh you down. The trend these days is mainly towards lighter materials that would still ensure decent support.
I remember from one of my hikes in Point Reyes, how much I regretted not carrying a pair of waterproof hiking boots. Other than keeping your feet nice and dry, these boots also come in a variety of designs that are perfectly suited for different types of hiking adventures.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
If your search is also for the best waterproof boots for hiking, you have undoubtedly landed in the best place possible. This article is equipped to provide you with everything that you would need to know for landing on the best pair of waterproof hiking boots online. It will give you an array of selections along with features that will make your choice even easier.
Thus, all you need to do, for getting your hands on this particular essential item on your camping packing list, is go ahead and give this article a quick read.
In case you are unable to go through the whole article, here is our top suggestion for you: Salomon Men’s Quest Prime GTX W Hiking
If you’re looking for men’s waterproof hiking boots, this has to be your topmost choice. Its secure grip, stability, and cushioning make you go faster and further in total comfort.
It features a contagrip outsole which ensures maximum traction on mixed terrain and extended durability. Also, its sensitive foothold provides a secure, snug, and virtually customized fit all around the foot.
Benefits of Waterproof Hiking Boots
The benefits of including a waterproof barrier in your hiking footwear are pretty obvious. The main advantage of waterproof walking shoes is that they will keep your toes dry while walking through mud puddles and fording rivers.
In case you plan a long hike like some hiking trails in Switzerland or even a backpacking trip, wet and clammy feet can lead to issues that might even make you consider returning. But with your all-weather breathable hiking boots, there is nothing that you need to worry about.
Buying Guide For The Best Waterproof Hiking Boot
Choosing the right pair of waterproof hiking boots can feel pretty tough if you don’t really know what to look for. The guide below briefs what one should run a check on before finalizing their purchase on the boots.
Types: There is undoubtedly a dizzying array of choices available for you when you intend to buy hiking boots. From the lightweight waterproof boots for hiking to the ones meant for mountaineering solely, you will have a wide range of choices. Therefore, make sure that you know the purpose before you make the purchase.
Fitting: No one appreciates a pair of ill-fitting boots. Thus, make sure to look for the fit before you purchase. That is because the difference between bliss and blisters is just the time that is necessary for getting the right fit.
Components: If you understand a little more about what goes into the uppers, midsoles, lowers, and outsoles, that will undoubtedly help you refine your selection.
Best Waterproof Hiking Boots for Men and Women
1. Salomon Men’s X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking
Whether you are in search of a solid work shoe or planning on hitting the trails, these extra durable, waterproof, mid-hiking boots would suit you the best. It is designed for maximum traction on all terrains which basically makes it one of the best choices for waterproof hiking boots.
It is specifically designed with Descent Control Technology which allows it to efficiently tackle technical hikes and tough descents even in wet conditions. Whether you are into trail running, mountaineering, or backpacking, this X Ultra 3 Gore-Tex mid-hiking shoe will suit all of it.
This bestseller X ultra mid 3 GTX has steadily evolved into even more effective hiking shoes which adds up to the reasons why you should consider buying it. It shines even through the toughest descent. Try this pair and head downhill even when there comes a spring between your steps because even in wet conditions these boots ensure that your feet remain dry.
Weight: 380 grams
- Protective mudguard around the base of the foot for protection.
- Lightweight advanced chassis for maximizing motion control and energy management.
- Sensifit foothold for a secure, snug, and virtually customized fit.
- Added GORE-TEX membrane for keeping your feet dry both from inside and outside.
Con: The fit can be a problem if not chosen carefully.
2. Columbia Men’s Newtown Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Boot
In case you are looking for the best value waterproof hiking shoes, this Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof hiking boot has to be the one for you. It features a lightweight, durable midsole for long-lasting convenience.
It also boasts of its super cushioning and high energy return along with its advanced traction rubber sole which promotes slip-free movement on rough ground. Its handy and adjustable features assure a stylish and secure fit.
The multi-terrain traction system fits specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments. Its responsive, supportive cushioning, and super grippy rubber outsoles are specially geared for miles over rocks, gravel, grass, and roots.
Weight: 1 lb 4 oz
- Omni-grip is especially suited for treading in specific environments.
- Advanced technology promotes easy and comfortable movement.
- Lace-up closure ensures an adjustable and secure fit.
- Its contrasting color combinations deliver style, and its soft mesh exterior ensures durability.
- Sure-footed features ensure comfortable long trails.
3. Timberland Men’s White Ledge Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
The best part of this pair of waterproof hiking boots is that the uppers are made with 100% premium waterproof leather and its sealed construction is also praiseworthy.
These boots are comfortable, durable, and great-looking. Timberland sets new industry standards for craftsmanship and durability. It is a global leader in the design, marketing, and engineering of premium footwear.
These boots are rustproof and the model also boasts of its speed lace hardware with the lace hooks at the top. Its fully gusseted tongue along with the EVA footbed and midsole ensures a completely comfortable fit. The solid rubber sole with multi-directional lugs makes sure that your feet are secure during the trail.
Weight: 1.06 pounds
- Premium full-grain waterproof leather uppers
- Seam-sealed waterproof construction
- Rustproof speed lace hardware with hooks at the top ensures secure lacing.
- Assures trail-ready performance and style.
- Provides the gear necessary for all your outdoor adventures.
Cons: It has a possibility of having a couple of quick-lace eyelet failures.
4. Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
These waterproof hiking boots allow you to experience out-of-the-box comfort. Its durable leathers, a supportive footbed, and Vibram traction provide you with a versatile package.
Its features seal out water and let moisture escape so that you can stay dry while you are on the move. Its high-performance rubber sole with unmatched durability, stability, and slip resistance provides confidence on your feet.
The targeted heel cushioning improves overall comfort by reducing the stress on your foot with each step. Its protective toe cap along with the breathable mesh lining not only ensures water resistance but also makes sure that your trail is comfortable and safe.
The lightweight EVA foam midsole ensures both stability and comfort. The specially designed Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds to the overall stability. This is undoubtedly one of the best waterproof hiking boots for women for you to land on the market.
Weight: 1.1 pounds
- A waterproof membrane seals out water and allows the moisture to escape.
- Pigskin leather and mesh upper ensure comfort.
- The Bellows’ tongue keeps out debris.
- A protective toe cap ensures safety.
- The breathable mesh lining ensures comfortable dry movement.
5. Lowa Men’s Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boot
If you are searching for a pair of waterproof hiking boots that are extremely comfortable and durable, this should be your topmost choice. It is ideal for day hikes and short-haul weekend pack trips.
This boot perfectly combines versatility with comfort. It features a moisture-wicking footbed, full-length nylon shank, and shock-absorbent Vibram sole.
These all-terrain hiking boots are specifically designed to support lightweight packs up to 25 pounds. The durable mono wrap frame reduces boot weight.
It even features a waterproof GORE-TEX lining that as a result reduces hotspots so as to ensure that your feet stay comfortable. Additionally, the Renegade’s nubuck leather upper helps in securely holding the foot in place. That, therefore, reduces the stress on the foot during the downhill sections.
Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Mixed-media hiking boot features speed-lacing hardware along with padded tongue and collar.
- Full-length nylon shank.
- Climate-control footbed.
- Vibram Evo outside.
- Polyurethane Monowrap frame at midsole.
6. KEEN Men’s Targhee III Mid Height Waterproof Hiking Boot
This iconic hiking boot for men brings a contemporized look to all-terrain adventures. The durability and performance take its rugged look to a new dimension.
Its all-terrain rubber outsole provides a high-traction grip in muddy environments and on rocky surfaces with 4mm multi-directional lugs. The nonmarking rubber outsoles leave no trace or imprints while you walk indoors.
Weight: 1.05 pounds
- A waterproof breathable membrane keeps your feet dry and comfortable during your all-day trails.
- The torsion stability External Stability shank ensures support on uneven surfaces.
- The low-profile upper provides comfort and a secure fit with its padded tongue and collar.
7. Nevados Boom 2 Low Hiking Boots for Men
Your research for the best pair of vegan waterproof hiking boots is supposed to end here because this is the best pair that you can get online. These water-resistant, multi-terrain lug pattern pairs of boots are comfortable and they feature a weatherproof structure along with rubber traction.
It will best suit the customers who want performance characteristics of the boomerang product family in a low-top shoe. This pair will offer you the performance of a boot with the freedom of a shoe.
Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Breathable suede upper supported by a stiff midsole that soothes the arches.
- Provides the perfect grip on the ground.
- Ankle collars deliver additional support and keep debris out.
- A specially designed heel stabilizer ensures less foot pain.
- Reliable and ensures perfect performance.
8. Timberland Men’s Anti-Fatigue Hiking Waterproof Leather Lt. Maddsen Boot
These boots keep your feet in rugged style and these hikers take on any terrain and suit the best with your performance hiking gear. The uppers are made with premium 100% waterproof leather from an LWG Silver-rated tannery.
The boots also boast on its other features such as TimberDry eco-conscious waterproof membrane, fully gusseted tongue, compression-molded EVA midsole, etc.
Weight: 1.19 pounds
- Premium full-grain waterproof leather uppers ensure water resistance.
- Anti-fatigue comfort technology ensures all-day comfort.
- TimberDry eco-conscious waterproof membrane maintains feet dry in every weather.
- Covered by the Timberland limited warranty.
- A fully gusseted tongue keeps out debris.
9. KEEN Men’s Tempo Flex Mid Height Lightweight Waterproof Hiking Boot
Do you desire waterproof winter hiking boots that can move along with you during the cooler months? If yes, this has to be the best pick for you. Its Bellow flex technology reduces pressure on your toes and allows you to move more comfortably. It is made with durable, mesh, and it even features a moisture-wicking lining.
The best part of KEEN products is that they are consciously created using a natural, pesticide-free probiotic-based technology. The brand has a responsibility to protect and conserve the places where all people live, play, and work.
If you love winter hiking, it is highly recommended to bring best quality microspikes to walk on snow and ice.
Weight: 1.09 pounds
- Bellow Flex technology reduces energy in the toe box and allows the toes to bend more.
- The breathable textile upper with TPU overlays offers all-day comfort.
- The dry waterproof membrane keeps the feet dry and comfortable all day long.
- The speed lace system provides a comfortable snug fit.
- All-terrain rubber outsole delivers a high traction grip in all conditions.
10. Columbia Men’s Redmond V2 Mid Waterproof Boot Hiking Shoe
This model of waterproof hiking boots is designed for men and it delivers one of the best performances. It is ideally suited for rugged spring, summer, and fall hiking excursions.
The high-quality materials ensure long-lasting hiking wear. These boots combine advanced Omni-tech waterproof technology with comfort seamlessly while it remains ultra durable.
It also features a suede leather upper combined with a comfortable and breathable mesh webbing structure. The Omni-grip traction rubber outsole is non-marking which literally makes it suitable for indoor wear. If you are planning long treks over uneven terrain, this is the pair of boots that you need.
Weight: 1.1 pounds
- Advanced technology boots feature Omni-tech seam-sealed membrane bootie construction combined with TECH LITE lightweight midsole.
- This durable mid-cut waterproof hiker provides great traction and comfort.
- All-terrain traction provides high grip over a wide variety of terrain and versatile three-season use.
- Trails are more comfortable with these waterproof and breathable combinations.
11. NORTIV 8 Men’s Waterproof Hiking Boots
If you are looking for the perfectly suited pair of waterproof hiking boots best for outdoor trails, mid-trekking, backpacking, or mountaineering, these boots are the ones you need.
These hiking shoes are the perfect combination of durability and support. Its wear-resistant rubber outsole ensures solid footing on tough terrain, even during ice and snow. These shoes are geared for miles over rocks, grass, gravel, and roots.
The tough leather upper can withstand a lot of tough terrains and it even ensures breathability. Additionally, the rubber-covered toe cap keeps your toes in one piece if you accidentally kick a rock on the trail. The durable midsole provides long-lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return.
The boots are also designed to reduce the fatigue on your legs by giving support and resilience. The internal membrane also keeps the water out and an outer foam layer provides warmth and cushioning.
Weight: 2.75 pounds
- Gusseted tongue for ensured comfort.
- Compression-molded EVA foam midsole to ensure secure and comfortable fit during long trails.
- Waterproof and protection are ensured by the suede leather and waterproof membrane construction. It also helps in keeping your feet cool and dry.
- The upper-use soft suede leather material is comfortable, stable, and durable.
- Removable flexible insoles also offer arch support and provide all-day comfort.
- It is designed for both daily life and outdoor sports.
12. Timberland Women’s Norwood Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
In case you are looking for sleek designed waterproof hiking boots, this has to be your topmost choice. Pops of red against rich brown leather enhances the stylish trail-ready good looks.
These waterproof leather boots fend off raindrops on your trail and allow you to conquer even mountain streams, that too in style. These boots also come with Timberland Limited Warranty, which adds up to one more reason why this pair is the best for you.
Its eco-conscious waterproof membrane ensures that your foot stays completely dry during your hikes. Its Primaloft insulation ensures that your feet are safe from outside temperatures.
Weight: 1 pound
- Premium waterproof leather and fabric upper ensure durability.
- A waterproof membrane ensures that your feet remain dry.
- Compression-molded EVA midsole delivers lightweight cushioning and shock absorption.
- A removable anti-fatigue footbed assures comfort during the trail.
13. Columbia Men’s Crestwood Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
This pair of hiking boots is your ultimate companion for a rigorous day on the trail. It is designed with expert craftsmanship for male hiking enthusiasts. Its high quality of materials is the foremost characteristic that makes these boots the best.
These boots combine durability and comfort seamlessly. They are lightweight and stylish which makes them ideally suited for your outdoor sports.
The technology used ensures high-quality protection and prevention. It features a waterproof mesh along with a leather exterior that protects your feet from trail to mountain range. The advanced traction outsole works hard to tread grip in every environment which prevents slipping.
Its signature lightweight midsole provides long-lasting comfort and superior cushioning for impact absorption and high energy return. These boots are even available in a wide range of colors and sizes which basically means that there is something for everyone.
Weight: 2.4 pounds
- Advanced technology features a lightweight, durable midsole for long-lasting comfort, super cushioning, and high energy return.
- The advanced traction rubber sole guarantees slip-free action on rugged ground.
- Its full grain leather and mesh bootie construction along with its mesh tongue for breathability ensure complete comfort during the trail.
- It features a lace-up closure for an adjustable and secure fit.
- Its suede exterior ensures style while its soft mesh provides durability.
- The multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to multiple environments.
- Dual-zone winter tread pattern assures solid footing on the surface such as ice and snow.
14. Skechers Men’s Relment Pelmo Hiking Boot
This lace-up waterproof boot is all you need for your trails. If you are someone who loves outdoor sports, treks, and hikes, then this is the boot that you need. It is completely made up of leather which is of high quality and precision, thus you need not worry about the quality of the product.
Its synthetic sole promotes no contact with moisture which thereby makes sure that your feet remain dry. Its waterproof memory foam makes sure that you enjoy a relaxed fit all around the day on your long trail.
The shaft measures are approximately ankle-high from the arch which gives a rugged but comfortable look which is basically all you need for getting your hands on the best boots online.
Weight: 2 pounds
- Imported 100% leather ensures high quality.
- Synthetic sole promotes water resistance.
- Waterproof memory foam ensures comfort during long trails.
- A relaxed fit ensures comfortable outdoor activities.
15. ARIAT Women’s Terrain Waterproof Hiking Boot
If you are searching for women’s waterproof hiking boots, this has to be your ideal choice. It is specially designed to tackle tough terrains and is best suited for trekkers, adventurers, and anyone who is a fan of the outdoors.
These work boots don’t sacrifice comfort or support even during shifting weather conditions. The highly effective ATS technology is specially incorporated to offer stability and all-day comfort.
The waterproof PRO construction makes sure that your feet stay dry even in wet conditions. It showcases tough, oiled, full-grain waterproof leather. The moisture-wicking lining promotes optimum foot hygiene and the EVA midsole offers maximum shock absorption and cushioning.
They allow superior grip without the lug mess of other boots and are easily wiped clean.
Therefore, it hardly matters if it is ice, mud, or puddles, this boot ensures both comfort and durability. The material used is also lighter, cooler, and more durable. Thus, it is undoubtedly one of the best products on the market for you to purchase.
Weight: 5 pounds
- It features the ATS technology which offers durability and all-day comfort.
- The oiled full-grain leather of these hiking shoes provides a robust and rugged look along with keeping the water out of your feet even during heavy rains.
- Superior shock absorption is ensured by the EVA midsole.
- The Duratread outsole is ideal for maximum wear resistance and flexibility which makes sure that you stay sure-footed and comfortable.
- Waterproof PRO on the outside and a moisture-wicking lining on the line assure all-day dryness.
- Its advanced technologies ensure that the product outperforms in various conditions.
Even the best-value waterproof hiking boots would not be able to completely block water. But these boots are more than enough to protect your feet from various wet conditions. That thereby ensures protection from rain, snow, or water bodies that you possibly encounter during the trail.
This article has listed some of the best budget waterproof hiking boots for you to choose from. Therefore, if your next hike or backpacking trip is already planned, this is the product you will need immediately.
Read Other Hiking Gear Review Guides:
- 14 Best Hiking Shoes For Flat Feet
- 12 Best Barefoot Hiking Shoes And Boots (Reviewed and Tested)
- 15 Best Budget Hiking Boots for Men and Women
- 16 Best Waterproof Hiking Backpacks
FAQs: Best Waterproof Hiking Boots
1. Are Gore-Tex boots 100% waterproof?
A: The modern version of Gore-Tex is waterproof, but not 100%. It is breathable, durable, and lighter than ever which makes your purchase worth it.
2. Do waterproof boots keep your feet dry?
A: Waterproof boots are renowned for their innovative and durable waterproofing. That, in turn, guarantees to keep your feet dry. Its technology allows the moisture to escape the shoe which ensures breathability and comfort.
3. Can you wear Gore-Tex in summer?
A: Gore-Tex is a highly breathable and waterproof material that ensures that you don’t get too hot. The Gore-Tex lining makes the waterproof hiking boots breathable, which thereby eases the use of these boots even in summer.
4. How Long Will Gore-Tex Boots last?
A: One can expect the Gore-Tex waterproofing to last around 20 years or sometimes even more without any serious wear and tear and yearly maintenance.
5. How long should boots stay waterproof?
A: Most boots are supposed to last for a thousand miles or more before the soles wear through or the uppers get too worn. The waterproof membrane inside the boots is designed to last as the boots themselves.