14 Best Winter Jackets for Hiking for Men and Women
Most of us prefer traveling in the winter season; this lovely season brings chilled air, snowcapped mountains, and wonderful hot drinks! If you are a winter lover, thinking of making hikes in Switzerland or any other places in the winters, we have a variety of stylish winter hiking jackets just for you!
Many of us are uncertain about this hiking gear, the large market filled with products makes it harder for us to choose. Don’t worry! We have a list of the best winter jackets for hiking. These will keep you warm and comfortable in the chilly winters being true to their nature of being the best winter hiking jackets.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
Last January, I explored some popular scenic hiking trails in Lake Tahoe with my friends. Halfway through, the cold penetrated my skin through the jacket. Later, I understood it wasn’t built to endure the cold. You won’t be making that mistake because we have compiled the top-quality winter jackets for hiking, just for you!
Our pick as the best winter hiking jacket is Columbia Men’s Buck Butte Insulated Hooded Jacket. It has received great reviews from most customers. The heat-trapping and durability of this product provide you maximum comfort in chilly winter months. If you are thinking of planning a hike in the winter months, this should be your ultimate pick!
Benefits of Winter Jackets for Hiking
- You should choose the best winter jacket for hikingfor yourself, based on its protective weather features. Whether or not the product is fashionable is redundant. If you wear a protective layering on your body, while hiking in the cold, it will keep you from falling sick while traveling.
- If in case, you are looking for stylish winter hiking jackets, the market is open for you. There are loads of products which won’t have a thin lining and also satisfy your fashion choices. When you are going winter hiking, these products should be your No.1 choice.
- The best winter jackets for hiking can be used in several different kinds of winter hiking locations. If you are in a location where it snows, opt for a jacket with a snow jacket. It will keep you warm and protect your head from cold.
- If you are in a moist winter climate, opt for a jacket that has a rain hood. It will benefit you largely in a climate that has more moisture.
- The best part of all these winter trekking jackets is their durability. They last for a long time and give you maximum usage. When you choose a winter trekking jacket, make sure it provides you maximum durability and performance outdoors.
- Aftercare of the product is easy and affordable. Jackets do not require special attention. Washing and storing must be done carefully. The durability of the winter trekking jacketsdepends on your storage.
Do not think anymore, grab a jacket and make a hiking trip to the coldest places. Our list of the best winter jackets for hiking will be your savior!
What to Look for to Purchase a Good Winter Hiking Jacket? Buying Guide
Know the weather
It is important to understand the temperature of your destination before buying any of the winter outdoor jackets. The highs and lows of your environmental conditions will be the accurate barometer for choosing any of the best coats for hiking in winter. The large market of the various product may confuse you, but keep your hiking destination in your mind, before buying the winter outdoor jackets.
Does it fit you?
Various brands have various sizes and fits. Choose your warm walking jackets by trying them on. Unless it fits your figure, do not buy it. Investing in any of the best backpacking jackets for winter is long-term investing. These jackets last long, so keep in mind durability while purchasing. Check if there is room inside the jacket and whether or not it is removable.
What is it made of?
For a hiker, it is important to invest in those winter trekking jackets, which are made of comfortable material. They should be water-proof, breathable, and tear-proof. Before choosing your jackets, consider these points. When you decide what is the best jacket for hiking in winter, look for the ones which have stretchable material convenient for running, stretching, hiking, climbing, etc.
Weight of the Jacket
Do not invest in those jackets which are hard to carry. Some of them will feel alike tonnes and are not the jacket for you. The best hiking jackets for cold weather, are the ones that are light-weight yet warm.
Look for Zippers
You will be needing such a winter trekking jacket that has closed zippers. Some emergency products like mobiles, maps, watches, etc. will need to be kept close by. Some of the best winter hiking jackets have closed zipping pockets that will allow storage of such immediate products.
Best Winter Hiking Jackets for Men
1. MAGCOMSEN Men’s Tactical Jacket Winter Snow Ski Jacket
Thinking of what is the best jacket for hiking in winter? Look no more! We have the perfect affordable hiking jacket for winter. Try MAGCOMSEN Men’s Jackets. Made of Polar Fleece and added inbuilt insulation properties, this is one of the most popular of the best winter hiking jackets for men. It is available in beautiful shades of blue, purple, and pinks; not only does it provide you with maximum protection in the harshest of winters but also works as one of the most stylish winter hiking jackets.
This product has been created in a way that strenuous activities like hiking, running, mountaineering, hunting, and climbing become a smooth and comfortable experience.
- The hood and collar of this product are detachable. For maximum comfort, while performing outdoor activities this feature has been included.
- This is one of the best winter hiking jacketsbecause of its 100% waterproof properties. It is also lined with two front zippers and a large back pocket for extra storage.
- The harshest of winters also demand a free flow of air. This winter outdoor jacket provides full ventilation with 100% coverage.
- The arm-length sleeves with adjustable wrist cuff designs are accurate for the worst of winter seasons. Given the best of features, it still acts as a lightweight warm hiking jacket.
2. Helly-Hansen 65551 Men’s Alpha 3.0 Jacket
In the list of the best winter hiking jackets, this one can never skip our list. Made with the best quality material of insulation properties, it acts as a snow hiking jacket in the coldest months of the year. We agree it is expensive and is available under $500 but Helly-Hansen never compromises with quality!
- Most of us complain about the ventilation properties of various winter outdoor jackets, but you don’t have to worry about this one! With 100% stretchable features and high-quality seamless fabric material, Helly-Hansen is your winter savior!
- If you are in an environment of moist winter conditions, use this product seamlessly. With 100% waterproof technology and Durable Water Repellency Treatment Properties, it is ideal as the best winter hiking jacket.
- The most stunning part of this product is the hand-warming feature. It provides your cold hands with extra warmth during outdoor experiences. There are also extra storage facilities in-built for emergency products.
- The hood and helmet are detachable and can be folded easily in case of emergencies. This product has been designed to give you maximum comfort while hiking outdoors.
3. Scentlok Morphic 3-in-1 Waterproof Jacket
Scentlok designs the best winter hiking jackets in the medium range for you. It is available for under $250 and is one of the best hiking jackets for cold weather. Made of versatile camouflage design, it is the best item available in the winter outdoor jacket market.
Most of us want to remain unseen while mountaineering, hiking, or trekking. The material shields us from wild animals and the tricot fabric provides comfortable quiet movement.
The scent-controlling technology of this product makes it a hit jacket for mountaineering. Do not think twice before choosing this item!
- Your scent will not be tracked through this product; it keeps you safe in the outdoors from wild animals.
- This is a 3-in-1 product; it can be used in the windy, moist, and scented outdoors. Customers rave it as an affordable hiking jacket for winter. It also has great adaptability in the outdoors.
- The fabric is 100% waterproof and windproof. You will need a product that offers you heat and protects you from the chilly winds. This product will provide high performance and durability outdoors.
If you want to use this winter trekking jacket as hunting gear, it won’t work solo. You will have to pair it with other hunting gear.
4. Columbia Men’s Buck Butte Insulated Hooded Jacket
Most customers have rated this as the best product available when it comes to buying budget-friendly winter hiking jackets. It is available for under $170, yet Columbia never compromises with quality. They believe in designing the best winter jackets for hiking, yet their pricing is average. It is available in shades of black, blue, and brown with maximum protective coverage in the coldest months of the year. If you are a camper, this is a must-have for your camping packing list.
- The synthetic fiber material makes it one of the lightweight warm hiking jackets for men. It is breathable and easy to carry while trekking. Many of the jackets feel like tonnes, not this one. It will provide you with maximum comfort.
- The durability and adaptability of this winter trekking jacket are the reason for its popularity. It will provide you with maximum coverage and maximum usage.
- Made with the best quality Nylon and Polyester, it has easy washing and storing features.
- The hood is detachable making it the best down jacket for winter hiking.You can keep and remove it as per your choice. The extra in-built insulation is a bonus in this item.
5. Columbia Men’s Voodoo Falls 590 TurboDown Hooded Jacket
Columbia is the best winter jacket brand when it comes to producing the best winter jackets for hiking. They take great care in designing the best winter hiking jackets for men, which are also affordable.
Customers rate this product highly because of the great comfort and durability this winter gear provides. It is available in various shades and is considered the most stylish winter hiking jacket. Highly adaptable and budget-friendly winter jacket, this should be your No.1 choice.
- Pockets are available in this winter trekking jacketfor the storage of emergency products. The pockets are spacious to store wallets, mobiles. passports, etc.
- Easy to clean and storage facilities make it the best hiking jacket for cold climates. You do not have to work hard to keep it safe for long-term usage.
- This winter trekking jacketacts as a great insulated hiking jacket for cold climates.
- Made with 100% polyester and a down-style baffling design to provide extra cushioning and yet a thin lining, this is the best winter hiking jacket for you!
- Customers have complained about the company’s return and exchange policy.
- Some products have defective front zippers.
6. PUREMSX Men’s Winter Jacket: Best Winter Jackets for Hiking
PUREMSX has created the best winter hiking jackets with the best features. This product is available in affordable hiking jackets for the winter range, and customers have greatly reviewed this as their top winter gear. Available under $180, PUREMSX has great adaptability and coverage for the worst winters. If you are trekking in the cold climate, this should be your top choice.
- It provides you maximum coverage as a snow hiking jacket. PUREMSX works the best as a jacket for mountaineering, hiking, trekking, or other outdoor strenuous activities.
- Made with top-quality Polyester and fur fabric with a front locket zipper design, it is greatly bought as a stylish winter hiking jacket.
- As it is a lightweight warm hiking jacket for men, it provides you with great ventilation outdoors. Many jackets might make you feel constricted with a lack of air, but the air holes in this one makes you outdoor ready.
- The product is windproof and 100% water-resistant with easy washing properties. It will be of great help in moist climates.
Read Next: 12 Minimalist Barefoot Hiking Shoes for Walking & Hiking
7. GEMYSE Men’s Mountain Waterproof Ski Snow Jacket Winter
If you are still confused about what is the best jacket for hiking in winter, choose GEMYSE. It brings you the best winter hiking jacket with various color shades for your convenience. GEMYSE designs products that are suitable for all outdoor activities like mountaineering, trekking, hiking, etc.
All their winter gear is outdoor friendly; this item is available under $70 making it a great budget-friendly winter hiking jacket. Customers have rated this item quite highly because of GEMYSE uncompromisable quality.
- Available in sizes S, M, and L, with a variety of shades to choose from, this is a popular affordable men’s hiking jacket for winter.
- The main reason for the huge popularity is the maximum coverage and comfort this item provides in the coldest winter months.
- With a high-quality water-resistant feature i.e. 10000mm/H2O, this item is a great choice as a winter trekking jacket. You do not have to worry about the outdoors anymore.
- It acts as a great insulated hiking jacketwith its in-built heat comforter and is resistant to the outside temperature. The fabric is resistant to moisture and snowy winters.
Cons: The detachable hood sometimes takes a long time to fix.
Best Winter Hiking Jackets for Women
8. Columbia Women’s Heavenly Long Hooded Jacket
When you think of the best winter hiking jackets for women, the brand Columbia again is your choice! It designs the best winter trekking jackets for women and men. Adaptable to the harshest of cold climates and providing maximum comfort and heat, Columbia is the first choice for your winter treks!
The best part of this brand is that it creates budget-friendly winter hiking jackets that have a great color palette. It satisfies your inner fashionista even when you are hiking outdoors.
- Made of high-quality polyester fabric, this product does not allow cold to penetrate your skin, when you are outdoors. It works the best as a snow hiking jacket.
- The pockets are storage-friendly and can secure your emergency products easily in the outdoors.
- The specialty of this winter trekking jacketis the Omni-Heat Reflective technology. It traps your body heat, keeping you warm in the coldest winters.
- Columbia takes great care in making this breathable hiking jacket. You won’t feel constricted while doing any strenuous outdoor activities while wearing this.
- This product has front zipping and sometimes the zippers do not lock well. Customers have complained of the zipper’s inability to trap cold.
- The colors available for purchase might not be the same when you order online. You might receive a different product(rare case).
9. The North Face Women’s Gotham Parka Ii
Customers have rated this product highly when it comes to choosing the best outdoor winter jacket for women. Yes, it is comparatively expensive than the other available winter trekking jackets in the market, but the brand does not compromise with quality. Made with high-quality nylon and polyester fabric with man-made designs, this is the top-quality insulated hiking jacket in the market.
It can be found under $380 with a variety of shades making it a greatly stylish winter jacket. You will be amazed at the durability and customer service provided by the brand; this one is one of our most favorite winter trekking jackets.
- The hooded jacket comes with double heating properties- goose down & synthetic insulation. It is a great technology for those who are trekking in the coldest climates.
- Pockets are available for storing a variety of emergency products.
- The hood can be detached, making you feel more comfortable. Even though it is an insulated hiking jacketyou won’t feel air restriction.
- It is advised to wash it by hand rather than machine washing. This product gives great performance when stored properly.
10. The North Face Women’s ThermoBall Eco Insulated Jacket
Thinking of purchasing the best winter hiking jackets for women, which are available in a medium range? We have the perfect product for you. North Face’s Thermoball Jacket is available for under $380 with a variety of colors to choose from.
It has an eco-friendly design and has been scientifically curated with recycled material. This is a greatly stylish winter jacket which takes care of Nature too! Providing maximum coverage and cold-resistant qualities in the outdoors, this should be your choice while purchasing the best winter hiking jackets.
- The ThermoBall technology induced in this winter trekking jacketmakes it a great choice when you look for an insulated hiking jacket.
- Even though it has been made of recycled material, the waterproof and wind-proof technology has not been compromised. It is a great choice when you look for the best backpacking jackets for winter.
- There are back pockets, front pockets, and chest pockets available for the storage of emergency products.
- The product is the best choice when you are looking for a breathable hiking jacket. The in-built air pores make it easier for you to carry when you are outdoors enjoying a hike in the cold.
Read Also: 14 Best Microspikes For Hiking: Review & Buying Guide
11. Columbia Women’s Heavenly Long Hooded Jacket
Looking for warm walking jackets, which could be a part of your hiking gear? Look no further. Columbia has designed these beautiful and stylish winter hiking jackets which would suit you the best when you go outdoor hiking.
Providing 100% cold-resistant qualities and acting as a great insulated hiking jacket, this is one of the best winter hiking jackets in the market. It is available in the medium range and falls under $260; Women have rated this as their favorite winter outdoor jacket.
- The product offers you 100% waterproof and windproof technology when you are outdoors. It is resistant against the harshest of winters.
- The air pores inside this winter outdoor jacketare great for extra air circulation. Many jackets will make you feel constricted, not this one. It acts as the best winter jacket for hiking.
- The Omni-heat technology makes it a great insulated hiking jacket. It traps body heat and resists the outside cold environment acting as the best hiking jacket for cold climates.
12. Orolay Women’s Thickened Down Jacket
Orolay is one of the best winter jacket brands that beliefs in designing the best winter hiking jackets for women. Available under $200 and in a variety of color shades, this will satisfy the needs of every woman who goes for outdoor hiking.
With high durability and non-tearing features, this is your perfect choice when you look for the best winter hiking jackets for women. You can also use it as a warm walking jacket by detaching the faux feather hood.
- Made with 100% high-quality polyester fabric and 10% duck feathers, it is the most comfortable running jacket for winter. It even traps your sweat and body odor when you perform outdoor activities.
- It will be useful outdoor gear when you go for outdoor strenuous activities like hiking, trekking, or mountaineering.
- The windproof and water-resistant shell is a cherry on the cake! It protects from harsh winters acting as the best women’s hiking jacket for cold weather.
- The front and back pockets have a close zipping style which protects your emergency stored products. Even while hiking this will act as a protective winter trekking jacket.
- Some customers have complained that the company sends different colors of the jacket than the one they originally ordered.
- Some hoods are stitched into the jacket.
13. Wantdo Women’s Waterproof Ski Jacket Warm Winter Coat
Many of us look for a high-quality budget-friendly winter hiking jacket when planning an outdoor hike. Wantdo is the best brand for you. Designing the best of winter trekking jackets at the affordable rate of $70 satisfies all kinds of winter hikers. Quality is not something Wantdo compromises on.
This product has high durability in the harshest winter climates protecting you while you are outdoors! Made with 100% full mechanical elastic fiber, choose Wantdo as your winter trekking jacket.
- With a waterproof index of 10,000mm, this is your best fit as a winter trekking jacket. It will suit you in rainy and cold climate conditions
- High quality and durability are the keys to the design of this product. It is the best of the cheap outdoor jackets for women. It is convenient in all kinds of terrains making it a great outdoor gear.
- It has a detachable hood and a variety of front and back pockets for your convenience. Think no more! Choose this as your affordable hiking jacket for winter.
14. MOERDENG Women’s Waterproof Ski Jacket Warm Winter
Another one of our favorite inexpensive hiking jackets for winter, MOERDENG is your outdoor hiking partner. Available at a nominal rate of $80, this will suit you the best if you are looking for cheap outdoor jackets for women. It will suit those women the best who are looking for a snow hiking jacket; however, the hood and jacket quality is also suited for moist cold climates.
- It is 100% waterproof and windproof keeping you protected from harsh weather conditions while you are trekking/hiking outdoors.
- It is the best winter hiking jacketbecause of its double insulation properties. Heat is trapped inside the jacket and the outside cold will not be able to dampen your mood!
- The cuff links are detachable and tear-resistant for your convenience.
- Storage space has been provided by this winter trekking jacket. Front and back pockets have zippers for the protected storage of your emergency products.
The hood sometimes gets stuck when customers try to remove it.
Last time when I went to the hiking trails in Colorado Springs, wearing my best hiking shorts but an average jacket, my winter trekking turned to the worst. However, you won’t be making that mistake with the best winter hiking jackets provided. Hiking in cold climates is a wonderful experience with the correct gear. So, plan the trip with the best winter jackets for hiking.
FAQ on Best Winter Hiking Jackets for Men and Women
1. How to choose a jacket for hiking?
A: Look for insulated hiking jackets. Without cold resistance, you won’t be able to enjoy your winter hiking experience.
2. What does a three-season jacket mean?
A: Jackets which can be used in 3 seasons of the year are beneficial hiking gear. They have removable hoods, cufflinks which make them comfortable products for all 3 seasons.
3. How warm is a ski jacket?
A: Skiing is practiced in the coldest regions. Most ski jackets are insulated to provide you warmth and trap your body heat.
4. What is the best jacket for extremely cold temperatures?
A: Try our favorite and affordable brand MOERDENG. It comes with double insulation to provide you with warmth in cold climate regions.
this is quite helpful, tehcnical jackets from Woodland also are ideal for camping and trekking.
Thank you Preeti. I am glad that you liked it.