What are the safest places to travel alone in the USA? Solo travel in the United States, especially for women, can be incredibly intense, rewarding and interesting. If you love solo traveling and looking for some of the best places to travel alone in the USA – you’ve arrived at the right place.
Travelling often? 🤑
💲 If you’ve ever experienced FOMO researching places to visit, have a look at the WayAway subscription. Their maps cover all main tourist points of interest as well as highlight hidden gems. And the personal travel assistant included in the subscription will help you with any questions you have. On top of that, WayAway pays cashback on travel services you purchase through the app.Grab your WayAway membership plan now and get 10% off
The United States of America is a great destination for solo travelers. It’s pretty safe, easy to travel around and it’s absolutely full of lots of things to do alone. We have also considered how much cheap it is for budget solo travelers and backpackers, how social and how welcoming the locals were.
Keeping all in mind, I’ve put together a list of some of the best and cheap places to consider if you’re traveling alone to the US.
PIN IT FOR LATER…
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
#1 SAN FRANCISCO
San Francisco is a fantastic vacation spot to travel alone as the locals are super friendly and welcoming to outsiders. It is one of the most romantic cities in California. San Francisco is a beautiful US city for solo backpackers with different districts to explore, comfortable tourist spots to people-watch, and the best vistas in the country.
It is very safe for female solo travelers too but I will recommend avoiding Tenderloin at night. Like any other place in the world, you must ensure your basic safety precaution.
San Francisco is a city with sunny weather most of the time and perfect for solo travelers looking for adventure activities. From Muni (light rail, buses, streetcars, cable cars) to BART (subway), public transport in San Francisco is very easy and not so expensive. It just costs $2 for one way journey in Muni.
Best Things to do Alone in San Francisco
- Exploring the museums in San Francisco will allow you to know more information about this beautiful city. Must-visit museums in San Francisco – San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Asian Art Museum of San Francisco. You have a unique opportunity to visit all the museums and sights you want to and save your money with San Francisco CityPASS! Don’t miss a chance!
- Even if you visit SanFrancisco for one day, you should not miss the world-famous ‘The Golden Gate Bridge’. You can take some of the best Instagram photos from this popular landmark in San Francisco. You may also explore this and other popular California sights from the water via this Golden Gate Bay Cruise.
- Some hotels or hostels of San Francisco offer their guests a free walking tour. Don’t miss it if you are a budget solo traveler. It allows visitors to know more about the city’s history and to meet new people. Don’t forget to buy some unique San Francisco souvenirs.
- The biggest highlight is Alcatraz Penitentiary, one of America’s highest security prisons. Book your ferry tickets way in advance.
Where to Stay in San Francisco
While traveling solo, accommodation sharing is the best choice to know other travelers as well as to save some bucks. Check out the rate of some of the best budget hostels in San Francisco.
Find more budget accommodation here.
#2 NEW YORK
New York is a dream destination and one of the best places for solo travelers in the US. This popular US city might be always filled with the crowd but still, you can find some places to travel alone in New York.
New York City is very easy to navigate and offers endless shopping options, sightseeing and buzzing eateries
Solo travelers are pretty safe in New York. Violent crime is very rare here, especially against tourists.
As mentioned earlier, New York is very easy to navigate and a perfectly walkable city. Cycling is the cheapest(free) way of getting around the city. Buses are widely available throughout the city. Visitors can take subway rides in the NYC subway.
Related Post: 25 Best Ways to Travel in The USA on a Budget
Best Things to do Alone in New York
- There are plenty of things to do in New York. The Brooklyn Bridge is the most significant icon of the city. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge offers a stunning view of the NYC skyline. Taking a selfie with the iconic bridge is a must if you are a selfieholic.
- Hire a bike from Columbus Circle or Central Park Bike Tours and cycle around the huge Central Park – you can visit Jackie Onassis Lake, Gapstow Bridge, the leafy canopy of The Mall, and Bethesda Fountain.
- You have a unique opportunity to visit all the museums and sights you want to and save your money with New York CityPASS! Don’t miss a chance!
- Visit One World Observatory, the highest point of NYC. It offers a 360-degree stunning view of the entire city.
- If you want to escape from the hustle and bustle of city life, take some time out in New York Public Library. Solo travelers can take a free building tour that lasts around an hour.
- If you are on a long vacation, you must visit Beacon, Woodstock, and Shelter Island – some popular day trips from NYC.
Is it possible to explore New York in one day?
The answer is YES. It’s no secret, in my opinion, that taking a guided tour is one of the greatest ways to see the city. When you’re short on time, a guided tour offers you a special chance to immerse yourself in the city’s atmosphere and take in as many sights as you can. Therefore, I recommend you to go on this excursion: New York in One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour and enjoying this magnificent city.BOOK YOUR TOUR HERE
Where to Stay in New York as a Solo Traveler
Book your hostel anywhere in Manhattan where public transport is pretty much available. Check out the list of some of the best accommodation in New York for solo travelers.
Find more budget accommodation here.
From upbeat downtown, vibrant night parties to friendly locals and cheap local transport, Nashville, the ‘Country Music Capital of the World’, is one of the best places to travel alone in the USA.
If you are traveling alone in the US and looking for a party and live music, Nashville is the place to be. The Nashville Metropolitan Transit Authority offers public transit service with over 40 bus routes for central Tennessee. The regular bus service costs around $1.7 and $408 for a day pass.
Best Things to do Alone in Nashville
- Once you reach to Nashville, you will get to know why the place is called the Music City. Enjoying live music is the must-do activity in Nashville. From Jazz to pop, you will find every genre under the sun.
- The best way to know Nashville is to take a Sightseeing Cart Tour. Explore the musical city and see the stars honoring Hank Williams, Dolly Parton and other greats.
- Some of the best museums in Nashville – the Country Music Hall of Fame (your admission ticket here), Th Hermitage, Frist Art Museum, and The Parthenon.
- Hikers have the options for more than 100 magnificent hiking trails with gorgeous greenery and beautiful scenery.
Where to Stay in Nashville as a Solo Traveler
Hotels near downtown are comparatively more expensive than hotels near to the airport. To save your budget, I will recommend staying in a hostel. It not only saves your hard-earned money but also offers an opportunity to know other fellow travelers.
#4 MAUI, HAWAII
Maui is one of the cheapest romantic places in the USA and a top choice for honeymooners and couples. It is equally beautiful for solo travelers for the ultimate freedom in a place with raw natural beauty and adventure. If you plan well in advance, Hawaii cost won’t break your bank.
Maui is pretty safe for single travelers. The crime rate at Maui is very low as compared to other popular places in the US. If you are a beach lover, Maui must be your next destination for a solo trip.
Hawaii is a great place to live in. If you are planning to move to Hawaii but are afraid of its high cost of living, there are some inexpensive places in Hawaii where you can easily afford the cost of living.
Best Things to do Alone in Maui
- Maui has some of the best jaw-dropping hiking trails in Hawaii. It is recommended to go on a group hike in Maui to feel safe and see private trails. The lush landscapes, waterfalls and volcanic craters re really worth hike in Maui.
- Surfing in Maui one of the coolest things to do in Maui. Don’t be frightened. If you are an adventure enthusiast, you must give it a try. If you are a surfer-beginner I suggest you try yourself in surf lessons. Find an appropriate one here.
- Go for snorkeling in the Molokini Crater which is a partially submerged volcanic crater. Find your perfect snorkel tour here.
- Indulge in whale watching in Maui. It is expensive but surely it will be a memorable lifetime experience.
- Enjoy the shimmering sunset from Kaanapali.
Where to Stay in Maui as a Solo Traveler
Maui has plenty of hostels and budget accommodations for solo travelers and backpackers. Check out the rate and availability:
- Tiki Beach Hostel (Budget)
- The Northshore Hostel Maui
- Hakuna Matata Hostel
- Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel
#5 WASHINGTON D.C.
Even inexperienced solo travelers will find navigating the streets of Washington D.C. a breeze. It is the capital of the United States. The city is very walkable and the streets are lined with heroic figures and historical landmarks.
DC boasts countless free museums, the National Mall and towering monuments and many more. You can use buses and rail in the DC area as local transport. Circulator buses are cheap($1) and tourist-friendly and run to all of the key destinations in the city.
Be careful when riding alone on public transportation. Keep an eye on your belongings. Washington DC is safe until and unless you maintain the basic safety precautions. An anti-theft travel backpack is highly recommended in such places to travel without any worry. Check out our sorted list of the best and most affordable anti-theft travel backpacks.
Best Things to do Alone in Washington D.C.
- There are several museums that are free in D.C. Among all the fantastic museums and impressive monuments, I will highly recommend visiting Newseum at first. It features fascinating exhibits about current events in the United States and around the world.
- You can take a bike tour along the National Mall and the Potomac Tidal Basin. Visit the significant tourist attractions like presidential and war memorials and take a break to explore the monuments.
- If you are a bookworm person, you would definitely love to visit the Library of Congress. It has over 32 million books and printed works in 470 languages. Even if the book is not your thing, you will admire the beauty of this architectural building.
- Visit the Washington Monument which is the iconic symbol of Washington D.C. Take a breathtaking panoramic view from the top of the city.
- Experience the best of Washington D.C at night with a nighttime trolley tour. See the most popular monuments of the US capital illuminated at night. Visit the Lincoln Memorial, the Martin Luther King Memorial, and the World War II Memorial.
- If you don’t love the hustle and bustle of the city, go for a day trip from Washington D.C. and explore the surrounding areas like Great Falls Park, Ocean City, Luray Caverns and many more.
Where to Stay in Washington DC as a Solo Traveler
Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, McPherson Square, and Penn Quarter are safe area to stay in Washington DC. For cheap accommodation look to the nearby suburbs of Bethesda, Alexandria, Arlington, and Silver Spring.
Find more budget accommodation here.
#6 NEW ORLEANS
New Orleans, which happens to be considered one of America’s friendliest places, can provide travelers with an incredible experience.
If you are a first timer and looking for some of the best places to travel solo in the USA – book your flight tickets to New Orleans.
Check out this article on how to find cheap flights from anywhere.
If you are looking for the cheapest flights, then I highly recommend choosing WayAway, a company that gathers flights and offers customers the most affordable airfare. You will undoubtedly locate the most affordable tickets thanks to its clever search, which identifies the best option for specified travel dates!
Many travelers think that New Orleans is only a party destination. But beyond these New Orleans is the most unique city in America with the best food culture and ample tourist attractions.
The locals are very friendly, warm and welcoming. New Orleans is not a large city. You can get around the city mostly on foot. You can ride the local buses or streetcars which are pretty cheap. A whole day Jazzy Pass costs just $3.
Best Things to do Alone in New Orleans
- There are plenty of free things to do in New Orleans. Take a stroll along Bourbon Street. You will find a variety of restaurants, nightclubs, gift shops by the street. Visit the French Quarter, one of the most visited tourist attractions in New Orleans for vibrant nightlife and entertainment.
- Don’t miss the National WW2 Museum which is also considered one of the best museums in the world. See the historical exhibits and learn the story of the American Experience in the world war – why it was fought, how it was won, and what it means. Book your ticket in advance to avoid the queue.
- You must include Garden District in your New Orleans itinerary. It is just 4 km away from the French Quarter. It is a refreshing place with great mansions, beautiful greenery, and innumerable shopping opportunities.
- Go for a walk in the most notable park in New Orleans – Audubon Park and City Park.
- Art lovers can visit the New Orleans Museum of Art that offers beautiful paintings, sculptures, glass items, and historical objects.
Where to Stay in New Orleans as a Solo Traveler
Finding cheap accommodation in New Orleans is not a big deal. Hotels and hostels near the French Quarter are a little bit pricey. Here is some of the best accommodation you can check before travel:
- India House Backpackers Hostel (Budget)
- HI New Orleans
- Auberge NOLA Hostel
- International House Hotel
Some solo travelers are extremely fond of food. For them, Atlanta can be an ideal solo vacation spot with innumerable dining options to choose from.
So, is it all about food and a busy airport? Obviously Not. With its rich historical importance, great neighborhoods, and amazing gastronomic offerings, Atlanta has a lot to offer solo travelers.
You don’t have to worry about local transport in Atlanta. City’s public transport system MARTA is the most efficient way to get around the city.
Best Things to do Alone in Atlanta
- The historic Fox Theater is one of the best tourist attractions in Atlanta which is a movie house from 1929. Take a guided tour to have a glimpse behind the scenes at some of the building’s most unique architectural features.
- Walking along the Atlanta Beltline is a must-do thing for first-time visitors. There are events throughout the year. Solo travelers, who are looking for free things, can spend a great afternoon here.
- Adventure seekers can go for a hike to Stone Mountain. From the top, it offers breathtaking views of the city and all the green in Georgia.
- Fernbank Museum of Natural History is a great museum for the history buff. It is home to dinosaurs, a Star Gallery and a large theater with four storey screen. You have a unique opportunity to visit all the museums and sights you want to and save your money with Atlanta CityPASS! Don’t miss a chance!
Where to Stay in Atlanta as a Solo Traveler
There is definitely no shortage of world-class hotels in Atlanta. If you travel alone in Atlanta and are looking for cheap accommodation, you might have to struggle to find some budget accommodation in Atlanta:
- Atlanta Midtown Hostel (Budget)
- Relaxing, Comfortable, Private Bedroom
- La Quinta by Wyndham Atlanta Airport South
- Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South
When it comes to choosing a safe place to visit alone, Austin must be in the upper position of the list. It’s a great destination for single travelers and an easy place to feel comfortable.
Austin is one of those US cities which are quickly becoming one of the best travel destinations in the USA. The cool cafes, friendly vibes and charming downtown of Austin are perfect for solo travelers.
Downtown Austin can be explored on foot. However, renting a bike is the best and cheapest way to get around the city. Metro bus ticket is also cheap. You can buy a day pass at $2.50.
Best Things to do Alone in Austin
- Discover the famous landmarks and charming sightseeing of Austin on a guided bike tour. Pedal through the city and visit Zilker Park, Lady Bird Lake. Take some stunning pictures of Austin skyline.
- Go for a hike along the scenic Barton Creek Greenbelt and see the Flats, Twin Falls and Sculpture Falls. There is also plenty of adventure activities such as rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking etc.
- Diving into Barton Springs Pool is another popular activity that a solo traveler can enjoy in Austin. This natural water pool stays a chilly 68 degrees all year round.
- While in Austin, you should not miss Live music crawl with local musicians and explore Austin’s diverse music scene.
- Enjoy a jaw-dropping sunset from the top of Mount Bonnell.
Where to Stay in Austin as a Solo Traveler
Austin is getting popular day by day which results in ample tourist accommodation here on all budgets. Check out the best places to stay in Austin. If you’re in a hurry, check the below options.
Philadelphia is one of the best and cheapest places in the USA for solo female travelers where you don’t need to do much plan. Traveling solo in Philadelphia is relatively easy. It is also known as ‘City of Brotherly Love’.
The local people are very friendly with tourists. Philadelphia is pretty much safe for single women. Although it is recommended to stay within the tourist area. Public transport is very good in Philly. It’s an easy city to walk. If walking is not your thing, use the subway system.
Best Things to do Alone in Philadelphia
- Solo travelers must take a hop-on hop-off bus tour and discover the signature landmarks of Philadelphia tat your own pace. Visit the Independence Hall, Ben Franklin’s Grave and many more.
- Visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The museum has a good selection of pieces by Van Gogh, Matisse, Picasso and Cézanne. Spend an hour watching the impressive paintings there. With the Philadelphia All-Inclusive Pass, you have a fantastic opportunity to see all the museums and attractions you wish to see while saving money!
- Independence Hall is the most iconic and significant building of Philadelphia where independence was declared in 1776. Take a guided tour(free) to know more information about it.
- The Rocky Statue and the Rocky Steps unarguably two of the most popular attractions in Philadelphia. Take some selfies with the Rocky Statue.
Where to Stay in Philadelphia as a Solo Traveler
Check out some of the best accommodation for solo travelers in Philadelphia :
#10 LOS ANGELES
With a unique combination of stunning hiking trails, great food and gorgeous beaches, Los Angeles is one of the best places for solo vacations in the USA. With so many tourist attractions and amazing museums, Los Angeles will have you so busy that you won’t ever feel alone.
This is the only US city where renting a car is highly recommended to visit all the tourist attractions. It is relatively cheap, but you should book in advance to get a great deal. Public transportation is also affordable here. The public transit system consists of Metro Buses, Metro Rail and Trains DASH Buses. You can use Tap Card to ride any of these.
What car rental service is the best to choose?
I advise using Rentalcars, an international automobile rental booking service with locations all over the world, if you’re seeking for a reliable rental car company. So, wherever you go, you will undoubtedly discover the best vehicle.RENT YOUR CAR HERE
Best Things to do Alone in Los Angeles
- Hit the beaches. Spend some alone time laying on the sand, walk around the little shops or you can play beach volleyball. Popular beaches include Santa Monica, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Venice Beach, and Hermosa Beach.
- If you are looking for some adrenaline-pumping activities, LA has plenty of hiking trails. I will recommend going for the Griffith Observatory hike which offers a jaw-dropping panoramic view from the top. You will also get a fabulous view of the Hollywood sign from here.
- If you rent a car for your trip (you may do it here), you can take a scenic drive through Los Angeles’s canyon roads or the famous Mulholland Drive. Check out the ultimate road trip essentials before starting your road adventure.
- LA boasts some fantastic modern art museums and science museums which are perfect for some alone time. Some of the most visited museums in Los Angeles are the Grammy Museum, Natural History Museum, Museum of Death, and Museum of Broken Relationships. Save your money with the Los Angeles Explorer Pass.
- From Historic Bradbury Building, incredible architecture to exploring unique pieces of modern art, and several coolest street art; there are plenty of fun things to do in Downtown LA.
Where to Stay in Los Angeles as a Solo Traveler
Check some of the best accommodations for solo travelers in LA.
- HI Los Angeles- Santa Monica (Budget)
- Samesun Venice Beach
- The Venice Beach Hostel
- Freehand Los Angeles
LIKE IT? PIN IT…