Miami is usually popular as a place for people but it has a lot more to it than that. Even apart from the crazy and fun nightlife, you can come to Miami to enjoy the scenic views of the pristine beaches, reside at some beautiful places that have amazing opportunities, and enjoy food.
There are some exquisite hidden gems in Miami that you should not miss out on. Did you visit the zoos in Florida, especially Miami, or hidden bungee spots? If you are planning a vacation and are worried about which Miami hidden gem places to put on your list, you have landed at the best place possible.
This article is specifically designed to help you plan out which places you should visit if you prefer to go for some off-the-beaten-path in Miami. Miami is a vibrant destination in Florida that guarantees non-stop music, legendary DJs, and pretty tide pools. If you are someone who likes to avoid the obvious crowd and go soul-searching in much quieter places, this is going to be your ideal shot.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
Miami is a popular destination known for its beaches, vibrant culture, and soothing climate. But this article goes beyond that and is going to inform you about the attractions and locations which are pretty unfamiliar and therefore easily missed out by the tourists. Thus, if the idea of discovering those underrated places in Miami interests you, go ahead and give this article a quick read.
9 Best Hidden Gems in Miami
1. Wat Buddharangsi Buddhist Temple
How to Get to Wat Buddharangsi Buddhist Temple: The place is a 36-minute ride from Miami International Airport via Ronald Reagan Turnpike or 49 minutes ride via Krome Ave.
If you’re looking for some of the best unusual Miami attractions, this would be a fine choice. You can enjoy a tranquil setting at Miami’s Wag Buddharangsi Buddhist temple. In case you need a break from the regular hustle and bustle of the city, this would be the ideal place for you to go.
The temple sits on approximately 5 acres of rural land. It features impressive southeastern Asian architectural designs that primarily include “chofas” which refers to horn-like spires that shine golden when the sunlight falls on them.
A massive 23-ft tall image of Buddha is placed inside this temple. This was professionally sculpted in Thailand in shining gold and was later shipped to Miami.
Things to do:
- Go for a photoshoot.
- Explore the rich history that the place has to offer.
- This place is considered pretty great for couples which makes it one of the romantic hidden gems in Miami to vacation.
- You can enjoy a rich amount of history in this place.
2. Giralda Plaza
How to Get to Giralda Plaza: You can either take a bus or a subway to this place. The transit lines are:
The Giralda Plaza is undoubtedly one of the best off the beaten track in Miami. It serves as a pretty decent relaxing hangout spot in Miami if you are seeking a place where you can avoid the crowds. This place features plenty of shops and tables as its brick walkways transfer you to the very middle of many other attractions around this place. Thus, if you are planning on taking some souvenirs from Miami, these shops have plenty to offer.
Things to do:
- Pay a visit and explore the art installations.
- Enjoy live musical performances or an outdoor screening of family-friendly films.
- This place will be a very decent and smart choice if you are planning a family trip.
- Try visiting during the weekends.
3. Soundscape Park
How to Get to Soundscape Park: It is adjacent to the New World Center concert Hall in Miami Beach.
Soundscape Park is undoubtedly one of the best-hidden gems in Miami if you are intended to go for a place that serves as a relaxing retreat from the city. This particular urban oasis is fully packed with open green spaces, towering palm trees, and walkways. This landscape is designed to be positively soothing which makes it a must-visit for tourists who seek to go for an unusual and calming experience.
Planning an escape to the Soundscape park is also one of the most budget-friendly things to do in Miami. Your experience here can also be enhanced with the enchanting sounds of the classical New World Symphony.
Things to do:
- Attend an event hosted or go enjoy an exhibition or musical performance.
- This is a popular place to be visited with family, so engage in a family photoshoot.
Stiltsville is a must-visit if you are planning on visiting some of the unique places in Miami. It comprises various stilt houses in the waters of Biscayne. The collection of seven houses is approximately a mile off the coast within Biscayne National Park.
- You can enjoy the view of the houses by booking a boat tour throughout the area.
- You can even enjoy learning about their rich history while imagining what it is like to live in a house surrounded by water.
- This is a year-round destination that allows an amazing experience no matter when you visit.
- There is no need for an entry fee for paying a visit to this place. It is worth your visit if you are running short on time.
How to Get to Haulover Beach: Haulover Beach is right between Bal Harbor and Sunny Isles beach. You can easily hop on a taxi or ride a bus to reach the spot.
It is one of those less explored places in Miami which is famed throughout the world. It offers a unique combination of natural beauty and tranquility, making it one of the most sought-after quiet beaches in Florida, attracting visitors seeking peaceful seaside retreats. This place features abundant parking, restrooms, concessions, rentals, and a generous sandy beach against the shores of the Atlantic ocean. It is one of the best gay beaches in Florida.
It is one of Florida’s best-known and recognized public nude beaches. You must keep this beach on your Miami itinerary. Some even consider it to be amongst the best weird places in Miami. But this is ranked to be one of the top ten nude beaches in the world.
Things to do:
- Go for a boat tour or book a yacht and enjoy some water sports.
- Try a deep-sea fishing experience.
Tips: In case you are planning to spend your time on a hidden beach in Miami, Haulover Beach serves to be a pretty amazing destination. This place is renowned to be a nude beach in Florida which means you don’t need to wear clothes while you are here.
How to Get to PAMM Museum: The museum is located at a distance of 11 minutes from Miami Airport.
The PAMM museum is undoubtedly one of the best hidden gems in Miami if you admire art. The Perez Art Museum of Miami or the PAMM is a place that features the best contemporary international art. The diversity of local culture in Miami mimics the perfect blend of the diversity of works in this museum.
The works on display range from various parts of the world and were created during the 20th or 21st centuries. This place serves to be one of the best secret places to visit in Miami, which offers you a day outside the hustle and bustle of the busy streets.
Things to do:
- Admire contemporary artworks made by various international artists.
- You can even discover more about the US Latino, the African diaspora, and much more.
- An all-year-round destination for tourists.
- Particularly the best destination for tourists who admire art.
How to Get to Miami Beach Cinematheque: If you are driving from Eastbound 395, continue east on the 5th street till 6 blocks to Washington Avenue. Then, turn left(north) on Washington Avenue and further turn left(west) on Espanola Way. You will discover Miami Beach Cinematheque at 512 Espanola Way.
In case you are listing down the hidden things to do in Miami, make sure this tops your list. Miami Beach Cinematheque is a cinephile’s go-to place in South Beach. Thus, if you have a penchant for films, this is a must-visit. It is popular for showcasing indies and classics. One can simply enjoy their quiet and intimate viewing experience here.
Things to do:
- Attend live performances hosted in addition to multiple art exhibitions.
- You can even pay a visit to the cafe, bookshop, library, and art gallery located inside the cinematheque.
- A year-round good experience is offered especially for the cinephiles which makes it a must-visit no matter when you trip to Miami.
- This place allows seating for only 50 people. So make sure that you book your tickets a bit in advance.
How to Get to South Pointe Pier: The park is right off South Beach right at the tip of the island. You can either go for a metered parking or a parking garage depending upon the length of your stay.
If you are looking for some of the best and most adventurous hidden gems of Florida, you will definitely love South Pointe Pier. It is one of the most relaxing piers that you can visit in Miami. There are plenty of non-touristy things to do in Miami if you are at South Pointe Pier. The lack of serious crowds is what makes this place one of those, where tourists who enjoy quiet choose to walk in.
This place even has much more to offer you if you are interested in fishing. This pier happens to be one of the best spots for fishing. It even offers stations for cutting bait and washing fish. There is extensive seating that allows you to cast out and relax among the beautiful scenic views this place has to offer. Thus, if you are listing the hidden gems in south Miami, make sure this place tops your list.
Things to do:
- Enjoy some adventure or go enjoy a relaxing day while fishing.
- Go for a photoshoot.
- Go for a stroll down the walking paths, grassy knolls while enjoying the sweeping views of the ocean.
- This place is open daily from 7:30 am and 6 pm.
- Parking can get a bit iffy, so make sure where to park.
How to Get to Crystal River: The Tampa International Airport is the closest to the place, about 74 miles south of Citrus County Florida. The place is exactly 90 minutes north of Tampa Bay.
Beautiful Florida springs are undoubtedly amongst the best assets of nature. Crystal River is one of the most amazing natural springs in Florida. It is a large network of forty natural springs that originates from the King’s Bay and empties into the Gulf of Mexico. It is one of the best-hidden places in Miami which is commonly referred to as a “water lover’s paradise”. Thus, if you are listing down the unexplored places in Miami, make sure you don’t miss this.
Things to do:
- You can enjoy a multitude of activities here and you will even have a chance to see a variety of wildlife. Go for such natural trails and boardwalks.
- Swim with the manatees. Read y blog on this too!
- Visit Kings Spring and enjoy the experience of an underwater cave best suited for adventurous divers.
- The place is open from 8 am. till sundown.
- It is open year-round which allows the tourists to visit there during any season.
Miami is undoubtedly one of the best places to live in Florida. It is an ideally-suited destination for explorers, party people, and beach bums alike. As you can already see, the place is also packed full of various wonderful attractions that are underrated. That is what makes these destinations your ideal go-to spots if you prefer calm and quiet spots for your Miami holiday.
Starting from secluded state parks to quirky restaurants, from unforgettable wildlife experiences to fascinating fan art museums, Miami has all of it stored when it comes to its hidden gems. This blog has listed some of the best-hidden gems in Miami for you to discover. You can also read this Miami packing list before visiting this magic city. Now all you need is to plan your trip, pack your bags, and go and explore these hidden gems in Miami according to your preferences.
- 14 Must-Visit Hidden Gems in Florida
- Best Places to Visit in Florida in February
- 11 Best Places to Live in Central Florida
- Explore Florida’s Coziest Beaches for Winter Sun Seekers
1. What is the famous Strip in Miami?
A: Ocean Drive is the most famous strip and is amongst the cool places in Miami. The bustling road runs parallel to the Atlantic Ocean and is lined with an array of Art Deco buildings, boutique hotels, shops, cafes, bars, etc.
2. What are the hidden gems in Flagami?
A: Some of the hidden gems to explore in Flagami are the Hollywood beach, Ocean Drive, Hard Rock Stadium, Seminole Hard Rock Casino Hollywood, and Collins Avenue Shopping.
3. What’s the coolest neighborhood in Miami?
A: Coconut Grove which is simply referred to as “The Grove” is one of the most popular neighborhoods in Miami and is generally recognized as the coolest.
4. What are the hidden gems in Wynwood-Edgewater?
A: Some of the hidden gems to explore in Wynwood-Edgewater are the Wynwood Walls, Margaret Pace Park, SoHo Lounge, Frangipani, Wynwell, Nerve Lounge, etc.
5. What parts of Miami should I avoid?
A: The most dangerous neighborhoods in Miami which are recommended to be avoided by the tourists are listed as follows: Overtown, Downtown, Model City, Wynwood, Little Haiti, Upper Eastside, Allapattah.