No city, no country, no continent is expensive if you consider it cheaper. Traveling to cheap countries is one of the ultimate goals for budget travelers. Being a budget traveler I thought it would be good to share some informative travel guides on some of the best and cheapest countries to visit in Europe. Check out the budget-friendly cities in West Europe too!
Most of budget travelers and backpackers have a misconception that all European countries are too expensive to travel to, so better go for a budget trip to Thailand. Trust me, it’s NOT at all if you research and plan properly you can easily travel one or two weeks in some of the cheapest European countries with just a $40 per day budget on average.
Here I have listed the top 10 cheapest places in Europe to visit with a tentative budget for accommodation, food, sightseeing, and local transport. Don’t forget to check out some of the best-applied travel tips for Europe to save a ton of money.
PIN IT FOR LATER…
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
#1 Cheapest Countries to Visit in Europe: POLAND
Poland is one of the most romantic countries in Europe with its stunning landscape, castles, beautiful parks, and many more. It is located in a historic position in central Europe. You will be surprised to know that in spite of being one of the cheapest places to fly to in Europe, it is not appreciated as it deserves.
Being it an underrated European destination the cost of traveling in Poland is one-third of the Western European countries.
Best Places to Visit in Poland:
- Poland might be a small country but it has a lot to offer its visitors. You can enjoy the sea in the North, mountains in the South, and lakes and forests in the Centre.
- Krakow is another beautiful city in Poland enriched with rich History, medieval architectures, cultural heritage, cobbled streets, and picturesque landscapes. It is also enlisted in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Last time when we visited Krakow we took a 7 hours guided tour in Krakow to explore Auschwitz Museum and Birkenau Camp to know more about its inhumane history by the Nazis.
- Visit Warsaw, the capital city and also the largest city of Poland. The Royal Castle and the Royal Route are the must-visit places in Poland if you are a History buff.
Currency of Poland:
1 Poland zloty=0.26 USD=18.54 INR(Approx.)
Languages Spoken in Poland:
Polish is the official language of Poland. English is spoken in popular cities for tourism.
Tentative Budget of Poland:
#2 THE CZECH REPUBLIC:
The Czech Republic is a beautiful, different, and cheap country to travel to in Europe. This central European country must be on the bucket list of budget travelers for its diverse architecture, beautiful castles, glorious history, and enchanting nightlife scene.
Best Places to Visit in the Czech Republic:
- Prague is a magnificent capital city of the Czech Republic and one of the most visited cities in Europe. The Gothic architecture, ornate castles, medieval buildings with vibrant nightlife- overall it creates a magical feel in this fairy tale city. Historic Charles Bridge is another major attraction in Prague.
- Visit Bohemian Paradise which is the country’s first nature preserve area that spreads more than 180 square kilometers. Hiking is the best way to explore the natural attractions and beautiful rock formations in the countryside.
- Many travelers take a day trip to Bohemian Switzerland which is popular for the hidden wilderness located on the Czech-German border. This park has the largest natural sandstone arch in Europe.
- Cesky Krumlov Castle, Hluboka Castle, Karlstejn Castle, Konopiste Castle are some popular Castles in the Czech Republic which have rich historical value.
- If you visit the Czech Republic in winter, don’t miss the Prague Christmas Market, one of the best Christmas markets in Europe.
Currency of Czech Republic:
1 Czech Koruna=0.043 USD=3.10 INR(Approx.)
Languages Spoken in the Czech Republic:
Czech is widely used in the Czech Republic. Russian, German and English are also spoken here.
Tentative Budget of the Czech Republic:
I know you can find some of the best honeymoon places in India, but if you want to spend your honeymoon in Europe on a budget, your first choice should be Hungary. It is one of the cheapest honeymoon destinations in Europe where you can spend some quality time without breaking your bank. Hungary is such a country that will always be at the top of my cheapest countries to visit in Europe list.
To get a taste of Central European culture with a thriving nightlife you have to travel to Hungary. Hungary is also the home to a number of World Heritage Sites with medieval castles and old Gothic architecture.
Best Places to Visit in Hungary:
- Budapest, the capital city of Hungary is one of the most visited cities in Europe. We took the super cheap one-hour sightseeing cruise in the Danube river, one of the most romantic things to do in Budapest. The panoramic view of Buda Castle and the Vigado Concert Hall from the cruise deck was really amazing. Budapest city itself is very beautiful with neo-Gothic style architectural buildings scattered across the city.
- Don’t miss the iconic Hungarian Parliament Building. This Gothic Revival-style parliament building has a spectacular central staircase and a great vaulted hall. Some other popular sightseeing is Buda Castle, Shoes on the Danube, the Gellert Baths and many more.
- Spend some time on the banks of Lake Balaton, you can go for a paddleboat tour to enjoy the peace and serenity of nature. There is a picturesque tiny village near this lake region, named Tihany which is known for its Abbey where the first records of Hungarian language are found.
Currency of Hungary:
1 Hungarian Forint=0.0033 USD=0.24 INR(Approx.)
Languages Spoken in Hungary:
Hungarian is the official language of Hungary. However, English is also popular here.
Tentative Budget of Hungary:
This central European country is considered the home of the famous Transylvania area. From picturesque landscapes with the Carpathian Mountains and high rocky peaks to medieval villages, captivating castles with rich cultural heritage, Romania is where you find everything that a traveler mind seeks.
Romania is also considered as one of the cheapest European countries to visit from the USA or any western European countries. You will find here plenty of inexpensive hotels and restaurants. Still, this tiny country is majorly untouched by tourism that makes Romania a more attractive and cheap country to visit for budget explorers and international travelers.
Best Places to Visit in Romania:
- Enjoy the breathtaking view of Europe’s second-longest mountain range Carpathian Mountains. The spectacular view of this mountain range is the main crowd puller of Romania.
- Enjoy a scenic drive in Transalpina(DN67C). This high altitude mountain road offers you some stunning views of the Carpathian Mountains through its winding curves. If you don’t want to rent a car then book a full-day trip to Transylvania. Transalpina is located in the Parang Mountains group in the southern part of the Carpathian Mountains, also known as The King’s Road.
- Whoever visits Romania, the 60 meters tall Bran’s Castle has a huge craze among travelers from all age groups. It is also known as Dracula’s Castle and one of the best places to visit in Romania. Dracula castle has been associated with the fictional vampire Dracula mentioned in Bram Stoker’s novel.
Currency of Romania:
1 Romanian Leu=0.23 USD=16.62 INR(Approx.)
Languages Spoken in Romania:
Romanian is the official language of Romania. However, 40% of Romanians can speak and understand a moderate amount of English.
Tentative Budget of Romania:
Another cheap country to go to Europe is Latvia. It is located in the North of Europe blessed with widely spread out greenery, fascinating history, unique culture, and traditions. If you love to explore some undiscovered area of old Europe, Latvia won’t disappoint you. Personally, I think if you would like to get the ultimate essence of pure Europe, then come here and explore this small Baltic country.
Best Places to Visit in Latvia:
- Consider Riga, the capital city of Latvia, as the starting point to explore this beautiful country. The colorful buildings, beautiful churches, cobbled streets are the perfect combination in the Riga Old Town.
- Visit the largest national park in Latvia, Gauja National Park. If you are an adventure lover, go on a hike in this park. Among all trails, the Amata trail is the most scenic with the majestic sandstone cliffs along with the Amata river. This 15 km long trail ends at Veclauču Bridge.
- Sigulda Castle is another popular tourist place in Latvia. To get a breathtaking view of surrounding areas you have to climb the North Tower as well as the Main Gate Tower.
- You can go for a day trip to Cesis from Riga. Visit the Cesis Medieval Castle and take a guided tour to know the detail of the history of the castle over the centuries.
Currency of Latvia:
1 Euro=1.11 USD=79.67 INR(Approx.)
Languages Spoken in Latvia:
Latvian or Lettish. Some people speak Russian and English also.
Tentative Budget of Latvia:
Ukraine is situated in Eastern Europe, another underrated and cheap country to travel in Europe. You can visit some amazing and authentic places in Ukraine which are still unexplored. It is one of the cheapest places in Europe to travel with stunning architecture, glorious history, countless wonders, and some UNESCO World Heritage Sites and attractions.
Ukraine has a collection of wonderful buildings mostly gold-colored. Though maximum people cannot speak English, they are very friendly and energetic with travelers. You can visit Ukraine at any time of the year though Spring is the peak season here.
Best Places to Visit in Ukraine:
- You will surely fall in love once you visit Kiev, the capital city of Ukraine. Kiev is the hub of Soviet and European culture. The city is well preserved with the memory of majestic architecture and some eye-catching architecture.
- Visit Chernobyl that faced the world’s worst nuclear disaster. The place is now a hot tourist destination, but you can’t visit this place by own. You have to take a group tour to Chernobyl and the ghost town Prypiat which will be surely a memorable experience.
- Explore the old town of Lviv which is also popular as Little Paris of Ukraine. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is the perfect place for fantastic pubs and breweries and chocolate.
- Go hiking in the Carpathian Mountains which is also known as the Green Pearl of Ukraine. This place is a collection of a beautiful meadow, dense forests, and little mountain rivers which make it paradise on the earth.
READ ALSO: 15 Best Budget-Friendly Hiking Boots
Currency of Ukraine:
1 Ukrainian Hryvnia=0.04 USD=2.97 INR(Approx.)
Languages Spoken in Ukraine:
Ukranian is the official language of Ukraine. However, Russian is widely used. English speaking person is very less here.
Tentative Budget of Ukraine:
Hostel budget: $10
Hotel budget: $20
Food budget: $15
Transport and sightseeing budget: $20
Avg. daily budget: $45
#7 Cheapest European Countries to Visit: BULGARIA
Looking to travel across Europe for cheap? Bulgaria is a paradise for budget travelers and backpackers who are looking for the cheapest countries to visit in Europe from the US. The country is not yet so popular among travelers but there is no shortage of gorgeous places in Bulgaria.
From pristine sandy beaches to stunning mountain peaks and endless green valleys, Bulgaria is the country for travelers who want everything in one place. However, rural tourism in Bulgaria has still not developed actively, but it is the best way to know the Bulgarian tradition.
Best Places to Visit in Bulgaria:
- Visit Sofia, one of the most beautiful cities in Bulgaria. You will get the flavor of Soviet history at every corner of this capital city. The most popular attraction is the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral that stands tall and proud with its gilded edifices and Orthodox domes.
- Plovdiv is an iconic city in Bulgaria with a diverse history and spectacular architecture. The ski town of Bansko is a beautiful place for hikers. Have a day trip from Sofia to Plovdiv and discover Asen’s Fortress and the 19t century houses, churches, and Roman Theaters of Plovdiv city.
Currency of Bulgaria:
1 Bulgarian Lev=0.56 USD=40.46 INR(Approx.).
Languages Spoken in Bulgaria:
Bulgarian is the official language of this country. Whereas English is the second most common language in Bulgaria.
Tentative Budget of Bulgaria:
It would be wrong to exclude Georgia from your bucket list if you are a culture and history lover. Georgia is not all about rock and stone. Beyond this, you will find the beauty of Georgia by exploring the mountains, monasteries, monuments with delicious local foods in charming weather.
Nowadays, the footfall of foreign travelers has increased in Georgia. Surprisingly this eastern European country is still a cheap place to visit in Europe.
Best Places to Visit in Georgia:
- Georgia has a collection of different types of monasteries. From beautiful hilltop monasteries to painted monasteries, Georgia has a lot to offer. Among all, Gelati monastery I found the best in Kutaisi.
- Visit Tbilisi, a wonderful city with a perfect blend of ancient and modern styles. Explore the old town with a walking tour. The Narikala Fortress, Metekhi church, and the old buildings with traditional balconies won’t disappoint you.
- Try some authentic foods in Georgia. The foody traveler will surely fell in love with Khachapuri, a local delicious dish made with bread and cheese, topped with an egg. A group tour to Kakheti region will give you a chance to taste Georgia’s unique wine
Currency of Georgia:
1 Georgian lari=0.34 USD=24.04 INR(Approx.).
Languages Spoken in Georgia:
Georgian is the official language here. English is mostly popular among the young generation.
Tentative Budget of Georgia:
Turkey will always be in my heart, especially when I am talking about the cheapest countries to travel in Europe. No doubt, it’s an amazing country, but what surprised me most is its history, picturesque landscapes, cultural diversity, and obviously delicious foods.
Whether you travel solo or with your family, Turkey is a great country to explore for all types of travelers. You can check out some of the best family-friendly resorts in Turkey if you are planning for a vacation with your family.
Best Places to Visit in Turkey:
- Hagia Sofia must be at the top of your list when you visit Turkey. It is an ornate museum beautifully decorated with marble, mosaic and tiles. This great architecture was a church at first and later converted to a mosque. Take a guided tour to Hagia Sofia to get to know a short history of the old town and it will also save your time by skipping the line to boo a ticket.
- Grand Bazaar of Istanbul is a fascinating place in Turkey which is crowded and popular among tourists as well as locals. You can find anything that you want and that too at a cheap price. It’s the ultimate place for shopping lovers.
- Turkish foods are praised all over the world for its perfect blend of flavors and ingredients. Try some traditional Turkish foods as well as street foods that are insanely cheap compared to Western European countries. I personally liked Manti, Kofte, Menemen and Kebab while I visited.
Currency of Turkey:
1 Turkish Lira=0.18 USD=12.58 INR(Approx.).
Languages Spoken in Turkey:
Turkish is the official language of Turkey. English is popular in Istanbul and other touristy places.
Tentative Budget of Turkey:
Croatia is a hidden gem of Europe which you would like to visit again and again for its well-preserved medieval cities, endless stretch of coastline, charming waterfall and lovely Croatian people.
It is no wonder that Croatia is one of the most visited affordable countries in Europe. The best way to visit this beautiful country is to rent a car in the early Summer and explore it.
Best Places to Visit in Croatia:
- If you are a Game of Thrones fan you can easily recognize the King’s Landing while doing GoT location tour in Dubrovnik. It offers its visitors a stunning view of red tiles rooftop with the deep blue sea in the background.
- Your Croatia visit will remain incomplete without exploring some stunning beaches. Enjoy a sunbath in any of the country’s spectacular beaches. Whoever travels in Croatia, Zlatni Rat beach is every traveler’s first choice.
- Croatia has some medieval towns like Trogir, Split, Zadar which are equally beautiful to visit. The old towns with a coastal location are the perfect combination to get the best of Croatia.
Currency of Croatia :
1 Croatian Kuna=0.15 USD=10.68 INR(Approx.). Euro is accepted by some hotels and restaurants, but the Euro is not the official currency in Croatia.
Languages Spoken in Croatia:
Croatian is the official language here. However, English and German are also widely used.
Tentative Budget of Croatia:
LIKE IT? PIN IT…